Our commitment

port-2_compromiso_900x300

Environmental indicators

We continually conduct environmental impact assessments of our company through our Life Cycle Analysis Programme for products and processes in order to manage resources efficiently.

Emissions

Our greenhouse gas emissions are falling and, since the year 2000, have declined by 52%. In 2018 alone, we successfully reduced our CO2 emissions by 2.4% through expanded use of sustainable vehicles in both the distribution of our products and in the sales fleet, as well as other measures implemented in our breweries, such as vapour recovery and the use of STP coolants to prevent the emission of ozone-reducing substances.

Our goal is to decrease our carbon footprint by 10% by 2020 through energy efficiency, the use of renewable sources, and a sustainable mobility plan.

CO2
(total emissions, direct and indirect, of greenhouse gases by weight)

TN

KG/TN

2018

46,354

30.54

2017

47,673

31.28


NOX

TN

KG/TN

2018

32

0.023

2017

41

0.027

CO2 emissions
from transport of our products

TN

KG/TN

2018

50,141

13.98

2017

50,324

14.36

Water

Water is the main raw material we use to produce our products, and thus it has a prominent role in the company’s environmental policies.

In 2018 alone, we successfully reduced our unit consumption of water by 3.20%, for a total decrease of 41% since 2000, at the same time as our production rose by 58%.

Water consumption by source
2018

Total water withdrawal by source (m3/tn)

3.45 m3/t
Municipal origin 68.60%
From wells 26.60%
From surface waters 4.70%
Water supply

Water supply according to local limits
2018

M3 (2018)

5,235,152

Energy

In 2018, we are continuing to reduce our energy consumption (-1.22%) by implementing projects like solar energy. The electrical power consumed by our company is from 100% renewable sources.

Direct power consumption

Broken down by primary sources 810,833 GJ – 0.53 GJ/t
2018

Natural gas

87.14%
Biogas 9.02%
Diesel fuel 3.79%
Propane 0.05%
Indirect power consumption

Broken down by primary sources 413.474 GJ – 0,27 GJ/t
2018

Renewable

100%

Recovery and reuse

We have a team fully dedicated to eco-design projects that are allowing us to progressively reduce the weight of our containers and rationalise the packaging we use. Thanks to these measures, in 2018 we were able to withdraw 210 tonnes of material from the market, achieving a container and packaging reusability rate of 38.95%, with the remaining 61.05% using recycled material.

Moreover, reuse and recovery of the waste we generate are a priority for us. Our efforts in this area have enabled us to achieve a recovery rate of 99.9%, very close to our target of zero waste by 2020.

Our offices and production centres are also committed to recycling, and we have provided containers to collect the packaging waste generated by our employees during the workday.

Materials used

(in tonnnes)
2018

Raw materials (malt, hops, adjuncts)

220,297
Packaging 175,779
Additional materials (additives, chemical products) 10,831
Containers and packaging

recovered at the end of their useful life 2018
2018

Metal

86.9%

Cardboard

81.10%

Glass

72%

Plastic

69.70%
Total weight of wastes generated

by final destination 2018 (in tonnes)
2018

By-products to animal feed

222,686

Non-hazardous waste to recycling

33,586

Hazardous waste

65

Waste to landfill

245

Our activities have no significant impacts on biodiversity or on the areas around our breweries and water springs. Nonetheless, we apply the precautionary principle and have an environmental liability policy with a limit of €15 million per accident and annual aggregate loss.

In 2018, we dedicated €8,85 million to initiatives and projects that have enabled us to minimise our environmental impact and continue improving our indicators.

Ongoing dialogue

We keep local stakeholders, with whom we engage in a fluid dialogue to establish synergies, very much in mind in all our activities. To do so, we use various channels, such as satisfaction surveys in our production centres, one-to-one meetings with different local institutions, and ongoing contact via telephone and e-mail.